Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cost of Implementing Distance Education

We've been discussing the design and implementation of course content for distance education courses compared to face-to-face courses. I know that I have at least one course in my program that will cover cost analysis issues for distance education. In the meantime, I do wonder why some universities are unwilling to invest in the program or at least hesitant to invest. For larger universities who have already used some web 2.0 technology, it is not as large of an undertaking as it is for those who are smaller or have no previous technology basis to work from. However, it seems that the growing trend is for online or distance learning - based on our readings, the news, and my daily life.

Now, I am not saying that everyone should adopt the latest technology but it seems that implementing some technology slowly will capture enough revenue to compensate. It can also make it easier to expand in the future as well without utilizing a heavy amount of resources financially. I can see both sides of the argument for wanting to wait, or wanting to jump in BUT overall, even if the initial implementation is not cost effective I still believe it is important to incorporate technology for distance education. This goes back to my topic on blended learning, even if the intent is not to create distance education courses, this can still help. Face-to-face courses benefit from having DE components that allow students to review information when outside of the classroom. In addition, it provides additional tools and resources for professors to assist students in their learning.

I guess the next issue once implementing the technology is making sure it is beneficial to the student. We of course have compared asynchronous and synchronous learning in distance education. It seems again that most of our readings favored a combination of the two learning methods. Synchronous limited the freedom of online learning by placing a time constraint for participation, whereas asynchronous lacked social interaction and spontaneity. Though I completed my first degree completely online, I do admit that these last few sessions in Wimba and Skype were very thought-provoking, and even fun. It was great to interact with everyone, and be introduced to new learning methods. Though most days, it is better to be able to participate when I have time instead of a fixed schedule, it was nice to see the other options for learning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aloma,

    To me, providing students with choices is the main theme of your post in combination with the need for schools, DE programs, and even individual classes to maintain a balance in their offerings and teaching methods. I agree with you and I think the two go hand-in-hand. Universities that adopt DE offer more student choice and since choice is a reflection of autonomy it is a good thing. The same is true with hybrid or mixed classes. As I pointed out in a previous comment, my classes at HPU were f2f, but I included an online component that was very effective. Students appreciated the opportunity to access materials both before and after class as needed, and this was especially helpful if they were absent. This is my only experience with mixed learning, but without a doubt I think learners benefit. I also agree with everything you said about incorporating some synchronous technology into asynchronous DE classes. The instantaneous nature of synchronous technology offers something unique and although an instructor has to be careful not to overuse it if the foundation of the class is asynchronous I think it offers a different and valuable dimension to learning.

    In regards to why some schools haven’t adopted DE, I think cost is a primary reason, but I also think there is strong resistance by some faculty members in many schools who view it as an inferior form of teaching and learning. Many, including myself in days past (i.e., before I enrolled in UMUC’s program) don’t support DE, online or otherwise, because they don’t think a credits earned through DE are equal to credits earned in a f2f class. The best way to change this way of thinking is education and experience (kind of a paradox, isn’t it?) I think if those who opposed DE experienced it for themselves they would have a different view. In addition to this, however, I know there’s a lot of resistance by some who fear having to use technology that’s unfamiliar to them. The issue of training faculty was raised in a number of class posts and multiple examples were given of the lack of support institutions provide to their faculty in this area. Additionally, some fulltime faculty fear they will be pushed out of a job since many online courses are contracted out to part time instructors, such as me. So, although cost is one reason why some schools have shied away from establishing DE programs I think there are many other reasons as well. What do you think? Are these valid reasons as well?

    I enjoyed reflecting on your thoughts,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eva,

    There are other concerns, but from the institutional level, I think cost is the most important. I definitely agree that validity plays an important to some institutions. The technology part is still around as an issue but I tend to dismiss it. The reason I do so, is because most people own cell phones, and these days most cell phone are more complicated than a computer! Also, my dad who is technologically illiterate, teaches online - so if he can do it, I am pretty sure most people can...!!

    But thanks for your feedback, again you've given me something else to think about!

    -Aloma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aloma,

    One final thought. I agree that IF they want to anyone can learn how to use the technology to teach an online class. The LMS make this pretty easy, BUT the initial use of it is still extremely time consuming and not all schools take this into account. When teachers don't get the support they need via training learning how to manage and run a LMS is a frustrating and daunting task. I realize that this is the result of very poor planning on an institution's part and shouldn't happen, but it does/did. I would guess that this isn't as big an issue as before, but it was a number of years ago when a lot of schools rushed to offer online classes. I do agree with you that even as computer technology develops most programs have been more user-friendly which makes it easier for them to use. I have an easier time using my computer than my cell phone too! :-)

    Eva

    ReplyDelete