Monday, July 12, 2010

Blended Learning

Our topic for the next week is design and delivery in distance education. We are comparing DE and f2f courses. What I have been noticing is that although we are making the distinction between the two methods, almost every text is utilizing and encouraging both methods. It seems that even though we make the distinction as well in our own course, we are actually borrowing from both methods as well. Asynchronous and synchronous technologies are being used in both DE and f2f courses. Using UMUC as an example, most f2f courses have a shell course in Webtycho that allows professors to post syllabus information and important updates for students to check online before the course or after. As DE students we are incorporating different ways to communicate in synchronous methods of technology bolstering communication between students and instructors as would occur in a f2f classroom.

Of course time and money are always a concern, but with most schools already placing some of these methods into their classroom - it is not a huge, monumental investment of time and money. One might argue, that you can slowly implement technology and DE into a program without a distinct disruption... I will not make that argument, because in my opinion it is worth the investment regardless of the time and money because blended learning seems to be the new method of learning. It provides the student with the best of both worlds, and it allows for courses to not lose their main goal because instructors are able to utilize both synchronous and asynchronous methods of learning in their coursework. I harp on this, I am sure, but everyone learns differently and because of this it is important to teach subjects in several different ways so that everyone can learn. Use different methods of technology to reach students seems like a natural progression in schools today.

Hybrid courses are classes that are f2f half the semester and online the remainder of the time, at UMUC. This does take away from the flexibility of DE because it requires the student and instructor to be in the same place at the same time during the semester. But this may work for a student who learns well in the classroom but cannot commit 12 weeks of their time to their education in person. It could also be the gateway for some students to make the jump from f2f to completely online courses, to see how they handle their interactions online while still receiving f2f assistance from the professor.

Hybrid courses are a form of blended learning, but when I refer to it, I really mean f2f classes that have some external online functions and DE courses that have some synchronous functions. My best example of the first is in our high schools...most schools in Montgomery County follow the students with external online functions - attendance is online, assignments are submitted and tracked online as well as schedules for the semester. So much information at your finger tips for parents and students to keep track of. Part of me wonders how this was adopted so quickly, my first thought is for accountability from the parents and students. I am also sure this is a convenient method for schools to track teacher progress as well. It seems to be more of a monitoring tool than learning but at the same time, it does allow students the ability to track and monitor information needed for their education so I am going to count it.

In my previous courses I have not really used synchronous methods of learning but have really enjoyed using them in the last couple weeks. I feel they have really added to my learning and to my motivation. Though I've been through this before, I seem to need more and more motivation as these weeks go by, and I have definitely been encouraged by my interactions with the professors and students during our sessions. I hope to have more courses that encourage this blended learning process, even if I don't learn anything related to the course, I will at least learn more about myself and that can definitely be helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aloma,

    Interesting post Aloma and lots of information! When I lived in Hawaii I worked as a private tutor and I was given access to many of my student’s Snap Grades, which I think is a program like the one you described being used in Montgomery County (maybe it’s the same one?). I liked it because I could track my student’s progress although it was only effective when teachers kept it updated. All teachers were required to post grades, but a couple used it to post assignments, grading rubrics, and expectations. I never thought of it being used as a way to monitor teachers, but I agree with you that it could be used in that way and probably is. Another experience I have with blended learning came about when I taught f2f classes for Hawaii Pacific University. I supplemented my classes with Blackboard and overall I got favorable feedback from students. I used it to post notes/Power Points that students could review or even print out and bring to class; I posted assignments and primary source readings (they loved this because it saved them money since they didn’t have to buy another book); and I posted practice quizzes that they could use as self-assessments. Whenever I get the opportunity to teach in the classroom again I hope I have access to a LMS so I can use it again and hopefully expand its use.

    As you already know I’ve also been struggling with staying motivated and wonder if taking a hybrid class would help. Even though I appreciate the flexibility of my online classes I really miss the personal interaction that comes in a classroom setting. I don’t feel isolated in a traditional setting like I often do now. Oh well, I think we just need to stay positive and keep in mind all of the advantages of DE and take advantage of synchronous and blended learning opportunities when we can!

    Take care,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete